Monday, June 8, 2009

How to Drag Your Spouse into the 21st Century


It's the same old story every time I purchase a new piece of technology. I love it. I think it is revolutionary. I can't stop talking about it. My husband thinks it's useless.

Within two weeks, he is kind of interested. Within a month, he is talking to his friends about it. At some point, he comes around and starts using the technology. Not long after he accepts the NEW THING, he thinks it was his idea all along.

This happened with the iPOD a few years ago. Clay did not see any reason to have one. But now, he is one of those runners who cannot fathom a workout without his music strapped to his arm. This happened with Facebook. He had a million and one reasons why he was too cool to be a part of the revolution. Now, he checks it everyday.

And it's happening again with our new Kindle and with Twitter. He is reluctant. He is hesitant. He is laughing at me when I post something from Tweet Deck. He rolls his eyes when I show him my newspaper on Kindle. But he will come around. This is how I do it:

1. I talk with other cool people about the technology in front of him. This lets him know that hip, happening people are using the technology.

2. I show him articles about how this equipment or Website is changing the world (like the cover of TIME Magazine for June 15th).

3. I use terms that he does not know, like "Twitterverse" or "Tweet" or "Twellow".

4. I download something he will appreciate, like a free sporting newspaper on the Kindle.

5. I use the technology in front of him without asking him if he wants to share.

6. I wait for him to ask questions.

7. Sometimes, I can't stand it and I just force him to see what he is missing. I think this might be counterproductive, but I can't help it.

1 comment:

  1. This is so funny I had to send a link to my husband! This is exactly what happened to us with blogging... I didn't have to convince him with the Ipod, though... he had one before me!

    ReplyDelete